Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Dave Kilroy kilroyd@googlemail.com
Fri Feb 14 09:05:00 GMT 2014

On 13/02/2014 21:48, David Stacey wrote:
> On 13/02/2014 19:36, m0viefreak wrote:
>> Grepping through /bin I found at least one other package
>> that makes use of /etc/passwd as a file directly (cvsbug), but
>> since I don't have everything installed I can only assume there
>> are more cygwin-packages and other programs someone might build
>> from source.
>
> My complete install is proving quite useful this week:
>
>     chere
>     xhere
>
> All of these reference /etc/passwd; some of the above also use
> /etc/group.
chere (with the -s passwd) reads etc/passwd and starts the default shell
of the current user from the explorer context menu. For now, I will
expect users wanting this functionality to keep using/etc/passwd. If we
grow a mechanism where the login shell can be queried easily, I'll
update chere to use that.

Regards,

Dave.