seteuid 1019: Operation not permitted

Sun Feb 16 06:05:00 GMT 2014

On 2/15/2014 7:08 PM, Evan Rowley wrote:
> Everyone!
>
> I finally figured out what the problem was here.
>
> A group policy was in effect on the Windows machine. The group policy
> is supposed to enforce the baseline security configuration as defined
> by the Center for Internet Security (CIS) Benchmark for Windows
> Servers. One particular Local User Security Policy setting was
> disabled. It was "act as part of the operating system" - apparently
> this is needed in order for SSHD in Cygwin to work.

Yeah, this is mentioned in the closely related FAQ entry
<http://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.sshd-in-domain>.  The need for
it is also spelled out in the
/usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh script used by
/usr/bin/ssh-host-config.  I know, it's not real
obvious that this is a requirement when you're installing or why.  And
when it's not unavailable the complaints that ensue aren't that easy
to immediately track back to this security policy.

I have this vague recollection that this particular policy is only
necessary to support public key authentication, though I didn't test that.
Regardless, that's small consolation if public key authentication is what
you're looking for. ;-)

--
Larry