[ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: getent-2.18.90-1

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epa.gov
Mon Feb 24 16:09:00 GMT 2014

> On Feb 24 14:29, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:19:20PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > I just uploaded the new getent package to the 32 and 64 bit distros.
> >
> > Getent is included in Base, but it has a dependency on libargp, which is
> > only in Devel and Libs.  At least that's the case for the 32-bit
> > packages; I've not checked 64-bit.  Can/should we lift that dependency,
> > or add libargp to Base as well?
>
> The dependency can't be lifted becasue getent actually uses libargp.
> Since setup pulls in this dependency automatically, I don't see a
> big problem here.

I think it's better to leave libargp out of Base.  Although the dependency
from getent effectvely makes it a required package, it's not intrinsically
required.  If in the future getent stops using it, it will automatically go
back to being optional again.