sox - package is broken

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 21:03:00 GMT 2014

On 24/02/2014 17:27, Dr. Alexander Kleinsorge wrote:
> But after (export AUDIODRIVER=ao ; play ding.wav)
> I see messages indicating successfull playing and application is waiting
> the time the wav-file takes,
> but no sound. But I can hear the sound using VLC-win32 or WindowsMediaPlayer.

You could try using the pulseaudio driver, but this requires a little
setting up. Firstly, make sure you have speakers and a microphone
connected to your PC (pulseaudio will not be able to function unless you
have input and output devices connected). Then set up some permissions:

     chown -R "username" "/home/username"
     chmod 755 "/home/username"
     rm -rf /tmp/pulse* ~/.pulse-cookie ~/.config/pulse

where 'username' is your user name. You will only have to do the above
once. Then play your sound file:

     export AUDIODRIVER=pulseaudio
     play ding.wav

And prepare to be dinged unto. When you've finished playing sounds, kill
the pulseaudio server:

     pulseaudio -k

This assumes that 'play' will start the pulseaudio server for you. If
you get errors from the 'play' command, try starting the pulseaudio
server manually:

     start-pulseaudio-x11

I know very little about pulseaudio, but the above works for me. If you
still don't have any joy then you'll have to fall back to your VB wav
player.

Cheers,

Dave.