Core dump in emacs 24.3 on CYGWIN

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Feb 27 20:26:00 GMT 2014

On 2/27/2014 10:34 AM, Doug Lewan wrote:
> All, for several months I've been getting core dumps from emacs 24.3 running under CYGWIN. I try to update CYGWIN every week, but occasionally a week must be skipped.
>
> Today is the first day I've gotten any specific information about any of these core dumps. (Usually it's just "Aborted (core dumped) emacs"). Today I got the following, more informative error. Still, it doesn't help me much in fixing the problem. (And it may, of course, just be a consequence of a memory management problem elsewhere.)
>
> [xcb] Extra reply data still left in queue
> [xcb] This is most likely caused by a broken X extension library
> [xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
> assertion "!xcb_xlib_extra_reply_data_left" failed: file "/usr/src/ports/libX11/libX11-1.6.2-1/src/libX11-1.6.2/src/xcb_io.c", line 576, function: _XReply

I suggest you send this to the cygwin-xfree list.  You'll be more likely
to find people there who can help you.  When you follow up, please
attach cygcheck output as requested here:

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html

And please give a recipe for triggering the abort, if possible; or do
the aborts seem to happen at random?  And can you reproduce the problem
starting with emacs -Q?

Ken