Base 64-bit Cygwin now requires Perl?

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epa.gov
Mon Jan 13 19:21:00 GMT 2014

> Because of this dependency line
>
> man
>  groff
>   perl
>
> A base 64-bit Cygwin install now requires Perl. Can this be changed? While Perl
> is a fine language I hardly feel it is appropriate to add that bulk to a base
> install.
>
> Note this issue is only with the 64-bit version, the base 32-bit Cygwin install
> does not require Perl.

lftp also has this problem.  It comes with a few sample scripts, two of which
are in Perl.  I include the sample scripts because why not, but cygport is now
quite diligent about finding this sort of thing, with the result that its
automatically-generated setup.hint now says that lftp depends on Perl.  Which is
annoying.

lftp isn't part of base of course.  I guess my point is just that when the only
option for dependency is "Requires", and Requires is determined automatically,
dependency lists are going to tend to grow.  It certainly seems to me that my
setup runs are pulling in a lot of extra required packages these days, that I
have no idea what they're for.

Andrew