Extended attributes

Pavel Fedin p.fedin@samsung.com
Thu Jan 16 06:08:00 GMT 2014

 Hello!

> >  What do you think about adding other possible namespaces (system,
> > security, and... don't remember the 3rd one) ? So that when
> > manipulating UNIX archives etc these attributes could be kept along
> > with files ? At least we have one use case now.
>
> That doesn't make sense.  Extended attributes as implemented by Windows
> are user attributes, not system attributes.  The non-user attributes on
> Linux have a very special meaning to the kernel and/or are restricted
> to privileged users only.  Their functionality is already provided by
> other OS functions (as for system.posix_acl_access) or not at all (as
> for security.selinux).

 I know they have special meaning. At the other hand, if we allow them, we will allow to store them on a filesystem. Wouldn't it be nice ? This is useful at least for SquashFS image preparation.
 I guess for similar reasons we have support e. g. for device nodes (/dev) with their major/minor numbers. They are also ignored by Cygwin, and just stored on the filesystem (or do i miss something ?).

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia