Maintainer for git?

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Wed Jan 22 18:38:00 GMT 2014

On 22 January 2014 18:25, David Conrad wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> I just wanted to add, I have been using Adam's version for the last
> couple of days without any issues. (The x86 variant.) The only problem
> I had was when I went to install it using Steven's instructions:
>
>> Also for anyone interested in testing this is the install, pretty simple
>>
>>     wget tastycake.net/~adam/cygwin/x86/git/git-1.8.5.2-1.tar.xz
>>     tar -x -C / -f git-1.8.5.2-1.tar.xz
>
> When I went to untar it, I got errors trying to hardlink git.exe and
> git-upload-archive.exe to git-receive-pack.exe in the /usr/bin
> directory. (I had previously uninstalled git using setup-x86.exe, so
> as to install it "clean".) I ended up running Windows cmd.exe and
> using mklink /H to make the links.

I've not had any issues I've noticed with hard links using my build, and
I've been fetching using the git:// protocol; I'm pretty sure that uses
git-receive-pack.

I want to try performing a minimal installation next, to check I've got
the dependency list correct, so that may highlight what the problem here
is.

The only difference between my process and the one Steven suggested is I
added a -a switch to the tar call, but that seems to be redundant now.