Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

Thrall, Bryan bryan.thrall@flightsafety.com
Thu Jan 23 17:37:00 GMT 2014

Andrey Repin wrote on 2014-01-23:
>>> Actually I'm working on a method to get rid of /etc/passwd and
>>> /etc/group.  I have a partially working implementation now, which
>>> generates passwd and group entries by fetching the infos from
Windows
>>> on the fly, compatible to the uids/gids and user/group names to
>>> SFU/Interix.
>
>> That's a really cool change. How will I customize my Cygwin user name
(for
>> convenient 'ssh server' instead of 'ssh user@server') and shell
without
>> /etc/passwd, though? (I'd include home directory
>> in that list, except I know I can just set $HOME)
>
> You can set $USER the same way, you know?

Ah, that's nice, I'll have to try it. :-)

> But that's a wrong way to go. IMO.
> You are supposed to be yourself, means, your login name.
> Else you'd have alot of stuff mishandled.

The user I use is myself, it is just that at my company, my login name
on the servers isn't the same as my Windows login name.

I haven't noticed anything mishandled, though. Do you have any specific
problems in mind?

--
Bryan Thrall
Principal Software Engineer