Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 23 20:11:00 GMT 2014

On 1/23/2014 10:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Warren Young writes:
>> I've run into this after installing everything yesterday for my "size
>> of Cygwin" research project.  Now I'm trying to remove most of that
>> piece by piece, but I keep getting tangled in dependency webs.
>
> In that case (and unrelated to the problem you noted with setup.exe) you
> might just look up which packages were installed since you've started
> that experiment (ls -lrt /etc/setup) and uninstall all of those past
> that date threshold.

There are 5,786 packages in Cygwin, and the pre-test state was closer to
1,000.  Making several thousand "Uninstall" selections isn't much of a
solution.

I ended up doing the reinstall-and-merge.

I told myself that it was about time I got my Cygwin 32 directory named
c:\cygwin32 instead of c:\cygwin, since I've also got Cygwin 64 installed.

Plus, there was an awful lot of cruft in that old tree.  Part of the
problem was obsolete empty packages like g++-4, which setup.exe was told
were part of my dependency set, but which it couldn't remove.  Once I
started hacking on installed.db, I knew it was time to nuke and pave.