Cygwin on Max OS X ?

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jun 5 14:12:00 GMT 2014

On 6/5/2014 07:48, Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> Can I install Cygwin on my iMac?

cygwin1.dll uses the Win32 API heavily.  That means it only runs under
Windows or a near-enough clone like WINE.

A few of the key tools for Cygwin are also Win32-native, such as
setup.exe and cygcheck.exe.  And, at least one of the packages ported to
Cygwin calls the Win32 API directly, which is Naughty(tm) but not
actively prevented.

I've tried CrossOver (the commercial version of WINE) under OS X, and
it's a miserable experience.

My advice: set up a Windows VM and install Cygwin in it.  I have used
both VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop on OS X, and they work
beautifully.  (Better than virtualization on Windows, in fact.)
VirtualBox also runs on OS X, but it is not as featureful as the other two.