With latest snapshot, emacs is very slow to start under X11

Fri Mar 14 17:58:00 GMT 2014

On Mar 14 12:28, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/14/2014 11:52 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> >With the snapshot of 2014-03-10, start the X server and then run
> >"emacs-X11 -Q&" in an xterm window.  On my system, emacs consistently
> >takes about 28 seconds to start.  With cygwin-1.7.28, however, it takes
> >about 1 second.  This is on Windows 7; so far I've tested 64-bit Cygwin
> >only.
> >
> >I'll try to find the first snapshot that exhibits the problem, and I'll
> >also test on 32-bit Cygwin.  But I wanted to make this preliminary
> >report quickly, in case the release of 1.7.29 is imminent.
>
> The problem first occurs with the snapshot of 2014-03-05, and it
> occurs only on 64-bit Cygwin.

The only possible explanation is the difference in installing the
exception handler, but this is quite puzzeling.  It's the same SEH
exception handler installation technique as any mingw64 application
uses and mingw64 applications are not known to be excessively slow.

In theory I'm on vacation, though, so I'll look into that next Monday at
the earliest.  If you want to test this yourself, try to build a Cygwin
DLL with just the patch from 2014-03-04 reverted so that a vectored
exception handler is used instead.

Corinna

Red Hat