Has Lucida Console disappeared?

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon May 12 16:46:00 GMT 2014

On 5/12/2014 08:37, Doug Lewan wrote:

> Since updating Cygwin on Friday I (i.e. emacs, etc.) don't find the
> Lucida Console fonts.
>
> Have they really disappeared?
>
> And how would I verify their removal? I can find lots of information
> about packages currently installed, but nothing more historical.

As far as I know, Lucida Console does not come with any Cygwin package,
it is part of Windows, up through Windows XP.  It is not a free font:

     http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1262

 From Vista (?) forward, Windows uses Consolas for that purpose.

Sometimes to get native fonts to work in Cygwin apps, you have to build
font files, which may not have been done in your new installation.  The
assumption here is that you're talking about Emacs on X11, not console
emacs in MinTTY.

If MinTTY can't find the font, check in Notepad or similar.  If Lucida
Console isn't there, either, Cygwin's setup.exe probably didn't remove it.