Bash silently truncates the Command Line when called programatically via CreateProcess as MAXPATHLEN was reduced to 8192 from 16384

Abhijit Bhattacharjee itabhijitb@gmail.com
Sat May 31 13:37:00 GMT 2014

Thank you everyone for your time and reply. I believe from your reply
I am able to get the problem sorted out. I would also try to reply to
each of your queries

@Chris J. Breisch
@Warren Young
Qs/Stmt: Why are you using that make and not the Cygwin make?
Qs/Stmt:  I suggest that you switch to CMake or SCons, either of which
will let you build software in a platform-independent way.
Ans: We had some hickups in the initial days while running builds on
multiple threads and the alternative worked for us. As it had been
working for ages we would rather want to stick with it. Its just that
with the recent Cygwin adoption, things started to fail.

@Christopher Faylor
Qs/Stmt: A Cygwin program which calls another Cygwin program does not
have this problem so it isn't completely immaterial.
Ans: I am not sure what you mean by Cygwin program. If you mean those
that are in your repository, I cannot comment. Instead, if you mean,
that's linked with cygwin1.dll, I believe, I have already shared with
you sample programs that exhibits the truncation behavior.

Qs/Stmt: Not sure who you are talking to but, on the off chance that
you are hoping to engage a Cygwin developer, we do know where the glob
code lives.  As I indicated, it originally comes from FreeBSD.
Ans: I believe not everyone out here are Cygwin developers. Even so,
with my experience, I know, even in my product, I do not know where
all the code comes from. If someone has already done the search, it is
really helpful.

Qs/Stmt: Possibly setting the CYGWIN environment variable to "noglob"
might cause things to work as desired.
Ans: I am yet to test this, but I trust your answer. I am yet to
figure out as to how I can set the environment variables CYGWIN with
multiple values i.e. I need to set it with nodosfilewarning and
noglob. I was trying to read though your code environ.cc and seems to
me I can simply separate it with a delimiter. Your documentation is
silent about it. If you know it off hand, please let me know, that
will reduce some effort for me to read and debug though your code :-)

@David Stacey
Qs/Stmt:  Instead of gmake and bash, are you able to use 'nmake' (that
comes with MSVC)?
Ans: nmake is awful and not even portable.

Rgrds,
Abhijit