Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Nov 2 18:02:00 GMT 2014

On 10/30/2014 6:27 PM, Don MacDougall wrote:
> So, why the
> postinst scripts failed to run before, now becomes an academic matter for
> me.

Nevertheless, let me point out for the sake of the archives that the answer was
contained in one of your earlier messages:

On 10/24/2014 3:11 AM, Don MacDougall wrote:
 > Can't fork, trying again in 5 seconds at /usr/bin/updmap line 59.
 >        7 [main] perl 8088 child_info_fork::abort: unable to remap Fcntl.dll
 > to same address as parent (0x2E0000) - try running rebaseall

The problem is that many of the texlive postinstall scripts run perl scripts,
and these failed as above because rebaseall needed to be run.  I guess this
problem will occur whenever perl and texlive are installed simultaneously.

I'm not sure what the solution is.  Would it be hard to tweak setup.exe so that
it runs the autorebase postinstall script before running any others?  Or would
this be a bad idea for other reasons?

Ken