Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Mon Nov 3 16:17:00 GMT 2014

On Nov  3 15:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  3 07:43, Ken Brown wrote:

> > >Off the top of my head I don't know how hard that would be, but it
> > >doesn't sound like an especially bad idea to me.  Au contraire.
> > >
> > >The only reasons not to do that would be if an installer script would
> > >move DLLs around (Do we have that?  I hope not) or if there's a simpler
> > >solution.
> > >
> > >One thing we could test is if we can't get away without tweaking
> > >setup.exe, by changing the dependencies only.  Right now _autorebase
> > >requires rebase and dash packages.  Both are in Base anyway, but they
> > >pull in more dependencies which result in something like a rat tail of
> > >dependencies.  So I'm wondering if tweaking _autorebase' setup.hint file
> > >like this:
> >
> > It's worth a try.

I changed that now on sourceware, but please keep in mind that this
doesn't solve all problems.  Assuming you update a few packages and then
start setup again and install some more packages, then the version
number of the _autorebase package hasn't changed and it won't be started
by the second setup run.  Only if a package gets updated which comes
with DLLs, the _autorebase version number is bumped on the server and
only then it will be started by setup anew.  Same thing for
_update-info-dir, but with minor consequences.

In theory, we could need a solution which is built into setup, and which
makes setup re-run the _autorebase script every time a package with DLLs
is updated or installed.  Analog for _update-info-dir.  The dependency
thingy is fine in upset, but the logic needs some support on the client
side it seems.

I would not be too unhappy if somebody would like to take a stab at
setup's code for this...

Corinna

Red Hat