[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Thu Nov 6 18:35:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  6 07:39, Christian Franke wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Hi Cygwin friends and users,
>>>

>>> I just released a 6th TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release,
>>> 1.7.33-0.6.
>>>
>> Looks good so far.
>>
>> An observation from my first test on a machine which is member of a domain:
>>
>> mkpasswd -l and -L always print the HOST prefix.
>> mkpasswd -d and -D never print the DOMAIN prefix
> Right.  That's by design.  -D is deprecated.  -L of the new mkpasswd/
> mkgroup (which hopefully are not used by users a lot in future) only
> prefix *foreign* machines.

But why does
   mkpasswd -l (no host) -- adds a prefix
   mkpasswd -l THISHOST -- does not add a prefix
when the machine is in a domain? Not consistent, IMO.

Is it because without a HOST it directly calls cygwin_internal() instead
of Win API and -l/L distinction is not checked then?

>    Otherwise the naming rules of the underlying
> Cygwin SAM/AD naming rules are strictly followed so that a defaultt
> passwd or group file will be identical to the output generated by
> the "db" mechanism[1].
>
>> This likely would break creation of local 'technical' user accounts in
>> existing *-config scripts (possibly including the csih script):
> The csih scrip needs a thorough kick anyway.  I'm working on and off
> on that, but it's not easy due to a couple of very ingrained assumptions
> not valid anymore.  I hope to get a new csih working next week.

But PLEASE keep the ability to create local users/groups without a
prefix. Otherwise useful configuration defaults (mail_owner=postfix,
...) would be no longer useful because config files must be tweaked for
each host (mail_owner=HOST+postfix, ...) for the sole purpose of[1].
Some of such technical users (sshd?) might also be hard coded or a
config parser might not like the HOST+USER syntax.

Christian