Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Nov 11 14:14:00 GMT 2014

> On Nov 10 22:33, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> On 2014-11-10 22:23, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>> Dependency order of packages: libgcc1 base-cygwin cygwin dash tzcode
>>> libstdc++6 terminfo sed gzip libpcre1 grep libreadline7 bash
>>> libncursesw10
>> [snip]
>>
>> Now that I think about it, regardless of libgcc1, that still doesn't make
>> much sense.  sed, grep, and bash depend on libintl8, which depends on
>> libiconv2, and libreadline7 (which is required by bash) itself depends on
>> libncursesw10, so that should be at least two places earlier.  All of those
>> dependencies are listed in setup.hint (and hence setup.ini), so is there
>> something wrong with setup itself?
>
> What about dependency loops?
>
> AFAICS, coreutils depends on tzcode, tzcode depends on coreutils.  Both
> depend on libgcc1.  This introduces a big problem in dependency
> resolution because there's no unambiguous starting point.
>
> What if we remove the coretuls dep from tzcode.
>
> Or, actually, what if we make sure that Base packages only depend
> on libs, but never on any other Base package?

Except that all Base packages (other than base-cygwin) should depend on
base-cygwin.  That will guarantee that base-cygwin precedes all other Base
packages in the dependency order.  And if we make _autorebase depend on nothing,
then we're guaranteed that it precedes anything that depends on it.

Ken