Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Nov 11 15:02:00 GMT 2014

On 11/11/2014 9:14 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Now that I think about it, regardless of libgcc1, that still doesn't
>>> make
>>> much sense.  sed, grep, and bash depend on libintl8, which depends on
>>> libiconv2, and libreadline7 (which is required by bash) itself
>>> depends on
>>> libncursesw10, so that should be at least two places earlier.  All of
>>> those
>>> dependencies are listed in setup.hint (and hence setup.ini), so is there
>>> something wrong with setup itself?
>>
>> What about dependency loops?
>>
>> AFAICS, coreutils depends on tzcode, tzcode depends on coreutils.  Both
>> depend on libgcc1.  This introduces a big problem in dependency
>> resolution because there's no unambiguous starting point.
>>
>> What if we remove the coretuls dep from tzcode.
>>
>> Or, actually, what if we make sure that Base packages only depend
>> on libs, but never on any other Base package?
>
> Except that all Base packages (other than base-cygwin) should depend on
> base-cygwin.  That will guarantee that base-cygwin precedes all other
> Base packages in the dependency order.  And if we make _autorebase
> depend on nothing, then we're guaranteed that it precedes anything that
> depends on it.

Of course, this still doesn't solve the problem of making sure that the
_autorebase postinstall script runs whenever the user installs a package
containing DLLs.  I wonder if we should reconsider Achim's proposal.  If
I understand correctly, it is something like this (oversimplified):

1. Change autorebase.bat to do an incremental rebase instead of trying
to do a full rebase.

2. Arrange for autorebase.bat to never be marked as "done".

Achim, please correct me if my oversimplification distorts your
suggestion too much.

Ken