RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

Tue Nov 11 16:19:00 GMT 2014

On Nov 11 08:51, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> > Please keep in mind that I'm talking about the Cygwin home dir not as
> > a default value which can be overridden in /etc/passwd, but of a Cygwin
> > home dir as returned by Cygwin when fetching the passwd entry from AD,
> > and no passwd file exists.  This Cygwin home dir should be:
> >
> > - Make some kind of sense when using a default value.
> >
> > - Be configurable by the administrators if possible.
> >
> > That's why I thought it a good idea to utilize unixHomeDirectory.
> > Default is /home/$USER,  The admins can set it to some other value
> > in POSIX notation.
>
> Using the unixHomeDirectory feels wrong to me because it doesn't provide
> a context to indicate where the home directory is located.

That's why I started this discussion in the first place.  "It seemed like
a good idea at the time", but not so anymore.

> Does a default location in the Windows profile make sense and permit
> administrators to provide HKCU\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\ registry value to
> indicate an alternative location?  Or perhaps a per-user environment
> variable which would also be distributed via the user's registry hive.

I'd prefer an admin-provided /etc/nsswitch.conf setting over registry
or environment... :}

Corinna

Red Hat