RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

Wed Nov 12 10:30:00 GMT 2014

On Nov 11 23:19, Andrey Repin wrote:
> >> nsswitch.conf configurable settings:
> >> user: Use %AppData%/Cygwin%PLATFORM% (Separate directory for different
> >> platform Cygwins)
>
> > I really don't like this one.
>
> I'm just summing up suggestions that have been raised in the list for last
> day. :)
>
> > Your naming scheme (user/system/cygwin) has its merits, but I don't see that
> > a home directory of any sort belongs under AppData.
>
> Not home directory. User profile directory.
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-11/msg00201.html

I was talking about the Cygwin home dir.  The home dir is a home dir.
It doesn't contain only stuff which is application dependent.  It may
also contain arbitrary user-specific stuff.  So the Cygwin home dir
is equivalent to the CMD homedir, which is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%,
not %HOMEPATH%/AppData/Roaming/CMD.

Corinna

Red Hat