Is there a tool for viewing all cygwin/GNU Software submissions

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Wed Nov 26 13:51:00 GMT 2014

Arthur Schwarz sent the following at Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:49 PM
>Is there a general tool that will allow someone to see the definition of
>all software in cygwin and allow browsing of libraries for content? If
>there is not, how can I go about creating one (any ideas)?
>
>What I would like to see for executables is a setup-like tool to pretty
>print information on all available software without going through setup.
>Where a library is included, I would like to see something about the
>routines included in the library.
>
>Info does a great job of showing information on executables which have
>been downloaded (although its presentation format is really bad), but
>provides no insight on available but not downloaded software. 'setup'
>provides a thumbnail description of all available software, but you have
>to use it in conjunction with the internet, and viewing and searching
>is laborious. And I don't know if there is anything which provides some
>brief information on library contents. I think for libraries you have to
>go to the provided application developer documentation or use one of the
>tools to read the library contents.
>
>So, anything there or anything I can do (to make it 'there').

To see package descriptions without setup, you can look inside setup.ini.
In addition to the short description (sdesc) displayed by setup, it has a
long description (ldesc), though sometimes that is just a repeat of sdesc.
The requires line can help one from downloading far more than one wishes.

- Barry