perl -d causes completion to fail

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Oct 15 22:09:00 GMT 2014

On 10/15/2014 2:30 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 11:47 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:22:20PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> Now I did some Bash completion stuff before so I'm familiar but
>>> where would I find which completion thing causes this to work but
>>> only if -d was not specified?
>>>
>>> Specify some other Perl option (i.e. -v) and it WORKS!
>>>
>>> To recap: perl -d mysc<tab> does NOT complete to perl -d myscript.pl
>>> but perl -v mysc<tab> does! That's just odd!
>>
>> This is all provided by the bash-completion package.  You should be able
>> to download the source code using setup-*.exe as usual, or the specific
>> script you're after is /etc/bash_completion.d/perl.
>>
>> The upstream release of bash-completion is v2.1; the official Cygwin
>> version seems to be based on v1.3, so it could be that this is resolved
>> in future releases.
>>

> Hmmm... seems my bash-completion and a few other things are old. Time to
> update.... (should have checked this first - sorry).

Adefaria-lt:ls /etc/bash_completion.d/perl
ls: cannot access /etc/bash_completion.d/perl: No such file or directory
Adefaria-lt:ls /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
Adefaria-lt:

I think you mean /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl... I think
the problem is that it's parsing the next token after -d and -dt looking
for :debugger and never things that maybe there's no debugger name (see
perldoc perldebug).

--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com