run.exe flashes non-hidden console window in cygwin64 on Win7Pro-64

John Wiersba jrw32982@yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 20:37:00 GMT 2014

Andrey, the flashing console flashes very quickly and I don't know how to slow it down.
It appears to have no title and no contents.

I gave up on using the bash option -c, because of clashes due to mixing windows and

linux command line parsing conventions.  So, instead I created a script /d/try:

  export PATH=/bin
  sleep 10
  date >>/d/out.txt # cygdrive is /

Here are the results of my recent tests:

When I run:

  D:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash --norc /d/try
then there is a flashing console window which closes immediately.  It appears to have no title or
contents but it's hard to tell since it flashes so quickly.  In the process list of Process

Explorer (from Microsoft's SysInternals), I can see:

  1) conhost.exe "Console Window Host" (nested under csrss.exe "Client Server Runtime Process"))
  2) bash.exe (at the top level)

  3) sleep.exe (at the top level)

After the expected 10 seconds, the processes disappear and the file /d/out.txt gets written to.

If I run instead:

  D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc /d/try
I get an empty console window (which doesn't close immediately), with the same title as my

shortcut name.  This console window closes after the specified 10 seconds.  In this case, there

is a slight change in the processes running:

  1) conhost.exe "Console Window Host" (nested under csrss.exe "Client Server Runtime Process"))
  2) bash.exe (running under explorer.exe "Windows Explorer")
  3) sleep.exe (at the top level)

So, definitely, run.exe is *not* preventing the flashing console window as I expected it to.