Font support of UTF-8 chars differ between w32 Emacs and Cygwin Emacs

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:27:00 GMT 2014

On 10/09/2014 19:49, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/3/2014 8:41 AM, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As you can see on http://screencast.com/t/XTTv9DSAC, win32 binaries of
>> Emacs and Cygwin Emacs can't display the white right-pointing
>> triangle [1] coherently for the same fonts:
>>
>> - win32 Emacs always can display it, in all fonts,
>>
>> - Cygwin Emacs can't display it with Consolas, Courier New and Lucida
>>    (among others).
>>
>> MWE:

[cut]

>> Any idea why such differences?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>    Seb
>>
>> [1] http://www.scarfboy.com/coding/unicode-tool?s=U%2B25B7
>
> I've had a chance to look at this now, and it doesn't seem to have
> anything to do with emacs.
>
> I've created a text file 25b7.txt (attached) with a single line
> containing the white right-pointing-triangle.  When I issue the command
> "cat 25b7.txt" in a mintty terminal, I sometimes see an empty rectangle
> (meaning the character can't be displayed), and I sometimes see the
> white right-pointing triangle, depending on which font I select in the
> mintty options.

mintty is using windows fonts as such it needs
that MS provides a full set.

Using charmap (windows Character Map) I can see that 25B7
is not available in Consolas while for example 25B8 (small black )
and 25BA (large black) are available.
In other fonts (like Courier new) only 25BA is available and 25B8
is missing...

> I don't know enough about fonts and UTF-8 encoding to be able to shed
> any more light on this.  Maybe someone else can help.
>
> Ken

It seems not a cygwin fault...

Regards
Marco