OpenSSH 6.8p1-1 and keychain: can't determine fingerprint

wilson wilson@ds.net
Wed Apr 1 13:27:00 GMT 2015

I saw the following on
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-03/msg00477.html and I've been
having the same issue with keychain. The fix to the /usr/bin/keychain
shell script worked as shown, but I've added information about where the
fix belongs (in the script) later in this message. I suggest correcting
the indentations for the proposed fix as needed.

> After updating to OpenSSH 6.8p1-1, I experienced an issue where, at
> every login, keychain (in my .bash_profile) wrote a warning:
>
> <snip>
> The warning:
> Can't determine fingerprint from the following line, falling back to
> filename
>
> A post
> (http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/d00c4734c9eed7abe32de6a741f5a3fe-8dd4abc7f69143e4ea63672f83a77a14
> [1]) to an Arch Linux forum expressed a similar report, along with a
> solution, adding a case for SHA256 or MD5:
> https://github.com/funtoo/keychain/blob/master/keychain.sh#L692 [2].
>
> For clarity, that's:
> * SHA256:[0-9a-zA-Z+/=]*|* MD5:[0-9a-zA-Z+/=]*)
>     # The new OpenSSH 6.8+ format,
>     # 1024 SHA256:mVPwvezndPv/ARoIadVY98vAC0g+P/5633yTC4d/wXE
> /home/barney/.ssh/id_dsa (DSA)
>     echo "$ef_line" | cut -f2 -d' '
>     ;;
>
> I applied the changes to my /usr/bin/keychain, and the errors stopped.
> I think this change belongs in Cygwin, too, since OpenSSH 6.8p1-1.

I applied this fix to the case statement (penultimate entry) in the
extract_fingerprints() function (around line 800) and it does seem to
work for me as well. I would recommend this be added as a permanent fix
in Cygwin's package.