[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.0.0-5

Fri Apr 17 07:37:00 GMT 2015

On Apr 16 15:20, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> > I would suggest not to use passwd and group files anymore, unless you're
> > in a situation with no connection to the account DB (e.g.  AD member
> > machine without connection to the DC).
>
> If you mean remove the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, that didn't
> work for me.  Xwin crashed the same way.

That should be fixed in 2.0.0-0.6 which I'm just copying to the
release area.

> "mkpasswd" isn't an option for me, everyone in the company will be
> added to the password file (I tried it).  Non-starter!

As I said, just don't use them.  But if you need it for some
reason, try

  $ mkpasswd -l -c
  $ mkgroup -l -c

That restricts the outout to the local accoutns and your own user
and primary group.  That's what setup calls.

Corinna

Red Hat