X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:13:00 GMT 2015

On 8/10/2015 3:41 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> At 2015-08-07 11:26, Jon TURNEY was heard to say:
>>
>> Is there anything unusual about your home directory?
>>

> Well, we use roaming profiles here at work. This has caused problems
> before, both in Cygwin and non-Cygwin apps. I've modified
> /usr/bin/startxwin like this:
>
> $ diff /usr/bin/startxwin.orig /usr/bin/startxwin
> 138c138,139
> <         XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
> ---
>> #        XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
>>         XAUTHORITY=/cygdrive/c/localdata/<username>/.Xauthority
>
> i.e. it now uses a local drive to store .Xauthority. With this change,
> startxwin works without a hitch, and it is not any slower compared to
> before the upgrade. I don't know what is particularly broken about my
> $HOME as most Cygwin apps deal with it just fine:
>
> $ cygpath -w $HOME

Corinna made changes which invalidates this value form for HOME existing
in Windows environment.  We've been arguing against the change.  This is
another example of why it should be left the way it has worked since day 1.

--
cyg Simple