Updated [test]: coreutils-8.24-2

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Wed Aug 26 22:50:00 GMT 2015

Yesterday's update from coreutils-8.23-4 to 8.24-1 has done something
horrible to cp. Previously
cp -r {sourcepath}/subdirectory {targetpath}
is allowed even when {targetpath}/subdirectory already exists - which, very
often or even usually, it does.
(A very common context is where a Cygwin user maintains their own
installation resource under /release/ and
seeks to grow the resource after an update! But instances are multiple.)
However under 8.24-1 the instruction is halted with an error message if
{targetpath}/subdirectory already exists.
Surely this is an accident and not an intended property of the update??
I have not tried [test]: coreutils-8.24-2 and I do not know whether this and
maybe other peculiarities of 8.24-1
have been identified and corrected, but hope that this will eventually
happen?
Thank you!
Fergus