Some programs (vi, ssh) crash when screen buffer height is big

Fri Aug 28 13:23:00 GMT 2015

On 08/27/2015 11:39 AM, Sous Lesquels wrote:
> Thanks cyg Simple.
>
>> It depends on the level of support you want from this list
>
> In this case, if Cygwin is supposed to work with the regular windows
> console? If mintty was created due to Cygwin *not working as expected*
> on default windows console, that's a good answer, as long as it's
> correct. If Cygwin *should* work on default windows console, then I
> would appreciate someone explaining if there's a workaround, if this
> would be considered a candidate for development any time soon, things
> like that.
>
> I don't expect anything. I'm not paying others to develop. I do hope
> the bugs are fixed, one way or another, as I use Cywgin daily, so of
> course I'd like it to work in an environment I have and like.

I think you're misunderstanding where the limitation is coming from.
The console itself is limited in functionality compared to what's
expected of a terminal.  Cygwin can only do so much to smooth out
those limitations.  This particular issue is a corner case, perhaps
an extreme corner case.  If there is some work-around that could be
found and/or implemented, it's probably of limited value in general
so it's likely that someone with the itch will need to chase
this down and implement a workaround if possible.  Besides that, the
alternatives are to side-step the console limitations by using mintty
or take this upstream to ComEmu or MS.

--
Larry