__STRICT_ANSI__ and stdio.h

Tue Dec 15 09:30:00 GMT 2015

On Dec 15 02:17, KIMURA Masaru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> is cygwin's __STRICT_ANSI__ and stdio.h behavior not so compatible to glibc's?
> >
> > Cygwin is using newlib, newlib is BSD based.  We introduced the
> > compatibility checking macros from FreeBSD lately.
>
> i roughly checked FreeBSD include/stdio.h and sys/sys/cdefs.h.
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/include/stdio.h
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/sys/cdefs.h
>
> it looks very different to newlib's.

Yes, it does.  Newlib has a long history diverging from the BSDs to
support embedded systems in the first place, and compatibility checking
macros other than __STRICT_ANSI__ and __POSIX_SOURCE weren't much of a
concern for a long time.

> FreeBSD has visibility for popen()/pclose() if __POSIX_VISIBLE >= 199209,
> it looks no checking about __STRICT_ANSI__ in their cdefs.h.

Yeah, that's history as described above.  popen gets declared in newlib
if __STRICT_ANSI__ is not defined right now.

> only one thing i worried about is _ANSI_SOURCE in their cdefs.h,
> (b/c i don't understand where _ANSI_SOURCE comes from...)
> but it looks _POSIX_C_SOURCE wins anyway.
> for ease to see, i'd attach simplified their cdefs.h for their
> visibility handling.

I don't see the difference, see below.  The big differences in newlib
are the additional handling of _GNU_SOURCE and the old usage of
__STRICT_ANSI__ in some circumstances which haven't been replaced by another
usage of compatibility macros yet.

But here's the deal:  Newlib is a volunteer-driven project.  If the
compatiblity checking macros are not correct or not correctly used in
all circumstances, newlib is happily open to patches.  Just send them
to the newlib AT sourceware DOT org mailing list.

> #if defined(_POSIX_C_SOURCE) && _POSIX_C_SOURCE == 1
>  #undef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
>  #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 199009
> #endif

Same in Newlib's sys/cdefs.h.

> #if defined(_POSIX_C_SOURCE) && _POSIX_C_SOURCE == 2
>  #undef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
>  #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 199209
> #endif

Ditto.

> #ifdef _XOPEN_SOURCE
>  #if _XOPEN_SOURCE - 0 >= 700
>   #define __XSI_VISIBLE 700
>   #undef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
>   #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200809
>  #elif _XOPEN_SOURCE - 0 >= 600
>   #define __XSI_VISIBLE 600
>   #undef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
>   #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112
>  #elif _XOPEN_SOURCE - 0 >= 500
>   #define __XSI_VISIBLE 500
>   #undef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
>   #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 199506
>  #endif
> #endif

Ditto.

> #if defined(_POSIX_SOURCE) && !defined(_POSIX_C_SOURCE)
>  #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 198808
> #endif

Ditto.

> #ifdef _POSIX_C_SOURCE