Problems using a DLL with Cygwin 64 bit

Philip Taylor pbt@observatorysciences.co.uk
Fri Dec 18 14:11:00 GMT 2015

Thank you for the reply. My situation is this: I was supplied Windows 32-bit and
64-bit .dll and .lib files by the manufacturer, which I believe were created using
MS Visual Studio. These are to enable me to use the API for this camera from my
software.

Building using GCC tools with cygwin, my initial attempt at linking with this API
library failed with the message : "error adding symbols: File in wrong format.".

I then discovered that by creating and using a new .lib file for this API DLL, using
the pexports and dlltools utilities, I could get the link to succeed.

Then (under 64 bit Cygwin) I got the message "*** fatal error - cygheap base
mismatch detected".

What exactly did you mean by "You're not trying to load the Cygwin DLL at runtime
dynamically?". I am trying to build this application under Cygwin in the same way as
many others, which all run OK,

Philip Taylor