ls not in sync with chmod (weird problems with file permissions)

Tue Feb 10 09:35:00 GMT 2015

On Feb  9 22:50, diod lightbulb wrote:
> On 9 February 2015 at 21:28, Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net> wrote:
> > Am 09.02.2015 um 16:37 schrieb diod lightbulb:

> >> 1-  For pre-existing files/directories under /cygdrive/d and /cygdrive/e
> >> All my file permissions that were correctly reported by ls -l as
> >> rw-r--r-- became all of a sudden -rw-rwxr--+ ??? The same for
> >> directories where all previously 755 dirs came back as drwxrwxr-x+

> >> % chmod 644 buggy
> >> % stat -c " %a %u %g" buggy
> >>   " buggy 674 1000 545
> >>
> >> Oooch, no change??? chmod used to work before today (BTW, same
> >> behavior for pre-existing files: chmod has no effect).
> >
> > See my mail about "group permissions". This would resolve nicely if chmod
> > gets changed to behave like on Linux.
> > ------
> > Thomas
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Maybe so, I really didn't see the point of ACLs before, I'm just happy
> with (used to?) plain POSIX. And up until now, the cygwin behavior was
> OK with me. I must say (a somewhat big inconvenience but I didn't
> complain) that I routinely chmod 644 all new files created by
> non-cygwin apps (say new files downloaded with Mozilla). That's why I
> asked earlier if there's an easy way to enforce file permissions 644
> for any newly created file. Maybe through Windows but then what would
> be the right corresponding Windows permissions to ensure them?
>
> It's important for me that the files I care for are in Group Users as
> my use case on this box is a Debian/Windows 7 dual-boot.  I have a
> UserMapping file for drives D: and E: to try to get consistent
> ownership on both. Another inconvenience right now is that the Group
> given to newly created files from non-cygwin apps (again, one example
> is a Mozilla downloaded file, another one is a Gimp newly created
> file) seems to be None instead of Users for cygwin apps. I routinely
> chgrp them. Is there a way to make sure that they belong to the Users
> group from the start?

Guys, I'm aware that the new ACL group/mask behaviour gives a little
trouble.  Before you turn your Windows system upside down, let's
discuss how to go forward.  See my mail at

and chime in so we can puzzle out the best solution for the future.
Ideally I(*) only have to implement this once ;)

Corinna

(*) Well, ideally somebody takes a heart and helps coding...

Red Hat