[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.3

Tom Honermann thonermann@coverity.com
Fri Feb 20 17:03:00 GMT 2015

>>> Yep.  We should contemplate to allow sending a signal to cygserver to
>>> invalidate its cache.
>>
>> Perhaps cygserver could subscribe to network event notifications and
>> automatically invalidate its cache?
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366334%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> How do you know if and when an interface change requires a cache
> invalidation?

I doubt there is a perfect algorithm, but perhaps a heuristic would work
fairly well.  For non-mobile systems, interface changes are presumably
rather rare and invalidation on the addition of any new interface might
be acceptable.  For mobile systems migrating between networks, the
situation is tougher - invalidating the cache when not connected to a
network from which it can be rebuilt would be frustrating.  An ugly
solution would be to invalidate depending on whether a (set of) user
specified address(es) has transitioned from non-reachable to reachable
(perhaps cache addresses of previously known AD servers?).  A
not-quite-as-ugly solution might be to invalidate based on specific
networks (ie, a user specified wifi network name).  None of these sound
great to me, but perhaps would work well enough in practice.

Tom.