mintty project

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Jun 2 18:04:00 GMT 2015

Am 01.06.2015 um 18:33 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Jun  1 18:14, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> I'd like to discuss what you (cygwin maintainers and others) think of
>>> this move, whether it's good for mintty to be hosted on github.
>> And that question of yours is moot since mintty already is on GitHub, in
>> 26 different forks.  Most of them are "Automatically exported from
>> Google Code." and some not even fully up-to-date.
After some browsing, I've learned that github encourages people to make
private forks, as a playground or whatever.
That may be fine but doesn't really count as an argument for an
"official" hosting platform.
>> Then closest to Cygwin is the one from cygwinports (Yaakov).
> That should probably be the version going ahead with...
That fork does not include the issue list (which could probably be
added); also github/cygwinports is a github "user account" which,
according to
https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions/
gives limited flexibility of assigning access rights. I guess as a
package maintainer, admin rights of the official repository would be
useful, which is an option with a github "organisation account".
So I see 3 options:
• Yaakov could turn github/cygwinports into an "organisation account"
and give me admin rights for the mintty repository.
• I could create a dedicated account and repository.
• I could host mintty somewhere else.

Eric Blake wrote:
> I personally avoid github; it encourages the use of proprietary code ...
My concerns against github are different; I have a strong impression
that it encourages anarchic project handling,
and I feel the concept of everybody being allowed to create forks and
submit "pull requests" may not be good for a core project.

Opinions?
------
Thomas

---