mintty project

Tony Kelman tony@kelman.net
Tue Jun 2 18:39:00 GMT 2015

> • Yaakov could turn github/cygwinports into an "organisation account"
> and give me admin rights for the mintty repository.
> • I could create a dedicated account and repository.
> • I could host mintty somewhere else.

There is also an inactive "mintty" user on github, you could contact
github about name squatting there and try to turn that into an
organization account. Send nowox an email to let him know this
conversation is being had (he may not subscribe to the cygwin list?),
he might even be willing to transfer ownership of the migrated
repository that he's made, if that would save you any time.

> My concerns against github are different; I have a strong impression that
> it encourages anarchic project handling,
> and I feel the concept of everybody being allowed to create forks and
> submit "pull requests" may not be good for a core project.
>
> Opinions?

What's wrong with encouraging more people to contribute more easily?
Someone qualified still needs to review the patches before merging them,
and there are free services that offer excellent integration with github
to simplify automated testing.

The single biggest argument that I've ever seen in favor of using github
is this plot: https://jakevdp.github.io/figures/author_count.png
of the cumulative contributor count to numpy, scipy, and matplotlib over
time, comparing trends before and after those projects moved to github.

Large projects like Node.js, Rust, Julia, manage just fine with hundreds
of contributors on github (and would probably not flourish anywhere near
as well if they were not using github). For a project with a smaller
number of contributors like mintty, really the only thing you have to do
to avoid your perceived "anarchy" problem is emphasize that your repo is
the canonical upstream. If you're taking over maintenance of the cygwin
package, that's not hard to do.

-Tony