From Microsoft: Windows 10 Console and Cygwin

Vince Rice vrice@solidrocksystems.com
Tue Jun 2 20:36:00 GMT 2015

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 2:20 PM, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/02/2015 10:37 AM, Rich Eizenhoefer wrote:
>> Can you provide more detail on changing isatty function to support Cygwin PTY's? I need to be able to support the request in our backlog.
>
> As long as we are wishing, it would be awesome if Windows natively
> supported ptys as actual objects, instead of making cygwin have to
> emulate them on top of other objects.

An ignorant question from an uninformed bystander — wouldn’t the “awesome” be the other of Corinna’s suggestions in her original email, i.e. that Windows open up the console API so that Cygwin can create a real TTY instead of having to emulate them in PTYs? I would think that would be the biggest win, with the least amount of cygwin-specific flavor to it.