Unable to run excel via cron

Andy Hall fixpertise-consulting@comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 16:45:00 GMT 2015

Years ago,  I had a similar problem on Windows Server 2003.  I needed to run a component of Visual Studio in a
Cygwin-based nightly build system.   It would not run unless Visual Studio was running prior to the builds starting.   I
solved it by first bringing up Visual Studio this way.

VISUAL_STUDIO="Microsoft Visual Studio 8"

ps -W | grep -q "$VISUAL_STUDIO" || \
	cygstart --showminnoactive \
	"/cygdrive/c/Program Files/$VISUAL_STUDIO/Common7/IDE/devenv.exe" /edit

So my question is, does having the Excel UI visible prior to running the cron job help?

The other difference is I used the Windows Task Scheduler instead of cron to kick off the nightly build.   The .bat file
(still running, but obviously obsolete)  is

======
	@echo off

	C:
	chdir C:\cygwin\bin

	rem set CYGWIN=ntsec
	set CYGWIN=binmode,nodosfilewarning

	bash --login -i "/home/build/bin/nightly_bootstrap.sh"
======

This seemed to side-step any problems resulting from the differences in permission handling between Cygwin and Windows.