using fortran common block from dll created by gfortran

LMH lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Thu Jun 25 00:11:00 GMT 2015

If you having trouble communicating with the dll, it might make more
sense to create a generic c dll and embed the fortran in the c dll as a
subroutine. It is generally not a problem to call a fortran subroutine
from c code though there are some syntax specifics to follow. Your
communication with the dll could follow standard c protocols. Since c
code and fortran code will have their own namespaces, your fortran
includes, common block, etc, shouldn't be a problem since those
variables will only be linked to the fortran objects. Your fortran src
files will be run through the fortran pre-processor so your common block
should be fine. Your c src files will be run through the c
pre-processor. The c objects won't know anything about the fortran
global variables but you can exchange what you need to between the c and
fortran in the call to the fortran subroutine. You end up with two
copies of allot of things but this is a decent way to get fotrran code
to talk to the modern programming world.

The only way I know to use the same memory namespace for both c and
fortran files is to run the fortran through the c pre-processor (name
your fortran src files .FPP). This lets you use c style includes and
compiler directives in your fortran code but does not support a common
block. You would have to declare global variables in c style includes.

LMH