git fails to push

Tue Mar 17 14:10:00 GMT 2015

On Mar 17 14:12, Peter Rosin wrote:
> On 2015-03-16 22:45, Warren Young wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:50 PM, Peter Rosin <peda@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> >>
> >> To file:///cygdrive/x/some path/with spaces/repo.git
> >
> > You shouldn’t be doing anything shared-database-like to a network drive.  Network file sharing protocols typically either A) do not do locking correctly, or B) they run slow as molasses in order to provide proper locking semantics.  Since almost no one is willing to accept option B), you usually get option A).
>
> Even if you claim that I shouldn't do something and then list a couple
> of reasons for that, you have no way of knowing if these reasons apply
> or if the alternative is even worse.
>
> I am the only person who has ever pushed to the repo in question.
> Speed is not an issue, I push fairly seldom. The code base is stable.
>
> > I think if you set Git up on the server using one of the supported server protocols [*] your problem will go away.
>
> You almost make it sound like file:// isn't a supported server protocol.
> Isn't it? If not, why is it listed under "Git on the Server" and why
> is NFS mounts mentioned?

Are you using NFS?  I encounter problems with NFS, too, once in a while.
I even added some workarounds in Cygwin at one point.  For instance, if
you append data to a file and then, with still open file descriptor,
call fstat, the file size will reflect the size before the append.  The
MS NFS is not very reliable in keeping up with changes to metadata.  A
change in Cygwin actually calls FlushFileBuffers before fetching
metadata on a descriptor open for writing.  There may be other problems.

Corinna

Red Hat