mkpasswd: option to force the 'primary' domain?

Tim Magee Tim.Magee@thales-esecurity.com
Fri Mar 20 12:24:00 GMT 2015

Now then,

Since Cygwin 1.7.34 dropped, mkpasswd has been problematic for us.  Our
problem is with the way user names pulled from outside the primary
domain get decorated.  My question is: will there ever be a way to tell
mkpasswd/mkgroup "make <some non-primary domain> the one whose users get
undecorated names"?

We have Windows machines in one AD domain, and all our users in a
different AD domain.  According to the 'POSIX accounts, permissions and
security' page, the machine's domain is considered the primary one.
"mkpasswd -d" will generate undecorated names for that domain, and
decorated names for any other named domain.

We use SSH-based tools a great deal here, and we use Cygwin to make our
Windows machines behave like members of our POSIX machine community, so
having our usernames appear the same on all machines is very desirable.

I think I can recreate the pre-1.74 behaviour with a little seddery, but
I'd bet folding money that my seddery isn't future-proof.  So, are
mkpasswd/mkgroup ever likely to get an option to force the "undecorated
users" domain?

Thanks,
Tim