mintty startup message: /sbin/nologin: No such file or directory

Habermann, David (D) DAHabermann@dow.com
Sat Mar 21 16:41:00 GMT 2015

I observed the same error.  In my case, it was apparently caused by a too-rapid startup at boot of cygserver, which apparently could not connect to LDAP at that early stage.  If I prevented any of my Cygwin services from starting at boot, and then started them manually once I logged in, the problem was not observed.  My current solution (still perhaps not the best) is to set all of my Cygwin services to start as "Automatic (Delayed Start)" in the services control panel.  This does solve my problem, but causes about a 1-2 minute delay in the availability of sshd/httpd2 after a reboot.

NOTE: I've also set all of my other Cygwin services to be dependent on cygserver as described in the Cygwin documentation.

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Mirko Vukovic
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 10:14 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: mintty startup message: /sbin/nologin: No such file or directory

Hello,

after upgrading cygwin64 on my company laptop, mintty gives the following message *when connected to the network from home*:

/sbin/nologin: No such file or directory

Pressing enter closes the window.

I can start bash from Windows' command window.  From there, I see that there is no /sbin/nologin file, heck there is no /sbin either.

A couple of data points:
- After the upgrade, I renamed away the /etc passwd and group files.
- I was able to open mintty while connect to the network at work

I have an almost identical setup on my other windows 7 desktop (always connected to the network) that does not exhibit this problem.

I saw some posts from 2011 about creating my own file but I am puzzled as to why I see this on my laptop and not on my desktop.

I looked in Windows logs and saw nothing.  I saw nothing in /var/log

Thanks,

Mirko