cygwin 1.7.35 reads file permissions differently, affects broken apps

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Mon Mar 23 19:04:00 GMT 2015

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> cygwin-1.7.32 $ ls -l
>> -rwx------+ 1 LocalService Domänen-Benutzer    1932 15. Aug 2014
>> fetchmailrc.txt
>>
>> cygwin-1.7.35 $ ls -l
>> -rwxrwx---+ 1 LocalService Domänen-Benutzer    1932 15. Aug 2014
>> fetchmailrc.txt
>>
>> Now, there are group permissions set. For me it breaks fetchmail, because
>> fetchmail only runs when the config file is owned by the user running
>> fetchmail (LocalService in my case, a system user I never can login with)
>> and with max 0700 permissions.
---
	I can confirm this bug exists in linux and is also
present in other mis-designed apps.  It's not cygwin specific.

Ishtar:law> llg .fetchmailrc
-rwx------ 1 law lawgroup 1103 Dec 14 13:49 .fetchmailrc*
Ishtar:law> chmod g+rw .fetchmailrc
File /home/law/.fetchmailrc must have no more than -rwx------ (0700) permissions.
> sudo fetchmail
fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
File /home/law/.fetchmailrc must have no more than -rwx------ (0700) permissions.

Another example:

> sudo lilo
Warning: /etc/lilo.conf should be writable only for root
Added 3185-Isht-Van
Added 3173-Isht-Van  *
One warning was issued.
Ishtar:linux/ish-3192> llg /etc/lilo.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 3589 Mar 17 19:48 /etc/lilo.conf

"ssh[d](re .ssh) , sudo (re sudoers), and I believe you thought
~/.rlogin also have this problem.  It is a growing problem for those
of us who manage security by group perms (I setup my linux box with
1 group per user several years ago to allow for Windows-security
compatibility).  For a while I was able to get around the problem
with ACL's, but these days, more apps are becoming ACL-aware.

Maybe linux needs a new Discretionary-access security module, dup'ed
off the current model, but with an extra set of dummy file permissions
that can be configured to be returned when run under a specified
list of program names.  Hmmm...I like it!