Rebase, Peflags, and cygserver

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:28:00 GMT 2015

On 3/27/2015 6:24 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>
>> On 3/27/2015 3:29 PM, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> I keep having problems with vforks.  Sometime everything is fine for days,
>>> then I start emacs, and get vfork errors.
>>>
>>> So I rebaseall, and peflagsall.  Emacs works great.  Oops, forgot to restart
>>> cygserver.  Restart, bam, vfork errors.  Or, no vfork error.
>>>
>>> It all seems so inconsistent and random.  Is there some methodology I am
>>> missing to ensure no vforks?
>>>
>>> What I'm doing (with some success)is this:
>>>
>>> 1. get latest cygwin update
>>> 2. del /etc/rebase*
>>> 3. rebaseall -v
>>> 4. peflagsall -v
>>> 5. don't restart cygserver (This means my bash shell window starts a little
>>> slower, but I can live with that.)
>>>
>>> I usually have to do this 2 to 3 times before I can get emacs to start without
>>> vfork errors.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I can improve on this? I would like to have cygserver running.
>>>
>>> Also, I often run Cygwin Setup (to get something I've missed, like wget..., or
>>> check for updates) while emacs is running.  Should I shut it down first?
>>
>> yes.
>> Never update with cygwin processes running
>>
>>> Dave in Hudson, FL
>>
>> could you start with
>>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>> specially this point:
>>
>> "Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
>> attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
>> the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
>> easily viewed"
>>
>> so we can look on your setup ?
>>
>> I am not seeing a lot of fork issues, on my system.
>> Eventually you have some BLODA interfering.
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>>

>> Regards
>> Marco
>

> It's quite long, but here you go...

It is for this reason that it should be attached to the mail
as allegate. Not in line with the text.

> Found: C:\tools\cygwin\usr\local\bin\bash
> Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
> Warning: C:\tools\cygwin\usr\local\bin\bash hides C:\tools\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
>   -> C:\tools\cygwin\bin\bash

why do you need a different bash in /usr/loca/bin ?

> Missing directory: /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/ from package emacs
> Missing file: /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/ob-asymptote.elc from package emacs
[cut]
> Missing file: /usr/share/info/org.info.gz from package emacs
> emacs                                 24.4-3                     Incomplete
> Missing directory: /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/ from package emacs-el
[cut]
> Missing file: /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/ox.el.gz from package emacs-el
> emacs-el                              24.4-3                     Incomplete

Are you sure that emacs is fully working ?
It seems a large chunk is missing. I suggest to re-install.

Regards
Marco