Recent x86_64 update broke administrator use of smartctl.exe

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Sat Mar 28 16:21:00 GMT 2015

banshee wrote:
> I have two windows 7 x64 boxes, one running cygwin x86 and the other
> x86_64.  I run smartctl on both boxes. One can run smartctl as
> administrator or not, but it produces a fuller information set with
> admin rights.  A recent change to the x86_64 cygwin has broken
> administrator use of smartctl as detailed below.  It still runs fine
> on the x86 cygwin.
>
> I'm not certain which version of cygwin broke the functionality, but
> it was working last week.

Any driver updates performed since then?
Do both machines have similar SATA controllers and drivers?

> x86_64 running as ADMIN fails to run smartctl
> $ /usr/sbin/smartctl.exe -a /dev/sda
> smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [x86_64-unknown-cygwin-win7-sp1]
> (cygwin-6.3-1)
> Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke,
> www.smartmontools.org
>
> Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error

Could not reproduce this.

The Windows IO-controls IOCTL_ATA_PASS_THROUGH or SMART_RCV_DRIVE_DATA
possibly return some unexpected error code. This is typically a SATA
driver issue. The output of "smartctl -r ioctl,2 -i /dev/sda" should
provide more details.

Could you possibly repeat the above test this with the "native"
(non-Cygwin) Windows version of smartctl?

This is likely not a Cygwin specific issue. Smartctl does not use any
Cygwin functionality to do ATA/SCSI pass-through access. Cygwin and
native version of smartctl share the same code. We could continue the
discussion by private mail or on smartmontools-support mailing list if
desired.

Christian