gnuplot 5.x.x.x not starting correctly in 64-bit CYGWIN console

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Nov 17 01:35:00 GMT 2015

On 11/16/2015 7:01 PM, John J Ottusch wrote:
>>>   The command 'cygcheck /usr/bin/gnuplot.exe' should give you that
> information.
>
>>> Ken
>
> Doing so finds several required DLL's but also reports
>
>    cygcheck: track_down: could not find cyglua-5.1.dll
>
> which is interesting because running the command
>
>    lua
>
> enters an interactive mode (unlike gnuplot), which suggests that 'lua'
> might be working.

You probably have lua5.2 installed, which provides cyglua-5.2.dll rather than
cyglua-5.1.dll.

> If cyglua-5.1.dll is part of the normal 64-bit CYGWIN download then

I'm not sure what you mean by the "normal" download, but cyglua-5.1.dll is part
of the lua5.1 package, and the latter is required by gnuplot.

> 1) I don't understand why it wasn't downloaded and installed
> automatically when I updated, and

It should have been.

> 2) I'm not sure what package(s) I would have to manually (re)install in
> order to get the 64-bit version, and

As I mentioned above, you will need to install (or reinstall) lua5.1. You can
discover this kind of thing by going to the Cygwin website and clicking on
"Search Packages" in the left column.

> (Sorry for the lack of previous context, but I did not receive a copy of
> Ken's message in my e-mail box to reply to.)

You should subscribe to the cygwin mailing list (or use something like gmane).
The custom on this list is not to CC individuals, though I've made an exception
this time to make sure you get the message.

Ken