Cygwin installer: "Next" button should not be default on "Select Packages" page

Brian Mathis brian.mathis@gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:58:00 GMT 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Brian Mathis!
>
>> Current behavior:
>> I have, many times, started typing something into the Search box at
>> the top of the page and instinctively press Enter.  Because the Next
>> button is default, this causes the installer to advance to the
>> installation stage (which may take a while as the actual installation
>> occurs, so it is not easy to quickly go back and change the package
>> selection).
>
>> Expected result:
>> Search filter should be applied and installer should not advance to
>> next stage until Next button. is explicitly clicked.
>
> The "Next" button should be the default action, however, in your specific use
> case, the current behavior is, indeed, undesirable.

Why "should" it be the default action?  Without specific reasoning
behind such a statement, it has no merit.

>> It doesn't matter that the search box dynamically updates the results;
>> there is still a natural instinct to press Enter after typing in the
>> search query.
>
> I don't know. I've long since unlearned that habit.
> And not only because of Cygwin setup. Many applications adopted the same
> pattern of dynamically filtered list, and it is actually very useful.

Seeing as it is a "habit" that you had to unlearn, it only reinforces
that this is incorrect behavior for this case.  Users should not have
to unlearn/relearn a common behavior just for a single control in a
single application.  The argument is not in consistency of coding
(i.e. all panels have "Next" as default, so this one also should), but
consistency of user experience (i.e. when I type something into a
search box and then press Enter, I expect a search to be initiated).

Whether the list is filtered dynamically is beyond the point.  Dynamic
filtering can stay as it is, just the Enter key should either also
initiate filtering (which is probably redundant), or it should simply
do nothing.