Windows locks up when pressing Ctrl+S while native process writes to terminal

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sun Nov 22 19:18:00 GMT 2015

> Hello,
>
> I found a consistent bug that happens every time:
> - Press Ctrl+S to stop the output in the terminal
>
> Bug #1: It's not possible to unfreeze the output in the terminal with Ctrl+Q. It just stays "stuck"
I confirm this effect and you don't need a fat application to
demonstrate it. With this Windows cmd script loop.bat:
@echo off
set n=0
:loop
echo %n%
echo %n% >> .log
set /A n=%n% + 1
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 > nul
goto loop

run it: ./loop.bat, then use ^S; the script will actually continue to
run but will not show any more output in a pty-based terminal (works in
Cygwin console).

> Bug #2: After a few seconds, the disk starts to trash. ...
Thrashing? Might be caused by the apparently-stopped application going
into some endless-loop activity.

Thomas