Mintty 2.2.2: possible hang when breaking (CTRL+C) out of pinging unresponsive host

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:04:00 GMT 2015

On 25/11/2015 08:06, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 24.11.2015 um 23:29 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

>> I assume it is an interaction with mintty.
> Many problems of that kind attributed to mintty are actually problems
> with cygwin or especially pty.
> Please test also with another terminal (xterm, rxvt, ...).
> Also some more details could be helpful as I cannot reproduce the issue
> (output of `type ping`, actual host pinged).
> ------
> Thomas

you are right is not a mintty only issue.
Same happens in xterm

$ which ping
/usr/bin/ping

$ ping 2.2.2.2
PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes

It sticks here forever, CTRL+C ineffective.
Process Explorer or Task Manager are needed to kill the process.
Also kill -9 PID is ineffective

On the old cygwin.bat (aka windows cmd)
CTRL+C is effective

  64 $ ping 2.2.2.2
PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes

----2.2.2.2 PING Statistics----
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Regards
Marco