Ability to specify /cygdrive mount value in setup

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Wed Nov 25 19:17:00 GMT 2015

Andrey Repin sent the following at Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:39 AM
>On 11/25/2015 10:56 AM, cyg Simple wrote:
>> I find /cygdrive/ just unbearable and I always change it to / after an
>> install.  The issue with this is that post install activities will
>> create symlinks using /cygdrive moniker so I must go change those if I
>> find them.
>
>Just which activities? I haven't seen any. And I do remap /cygdrive to /
>at all times.

I grepped everything in and under /etc for cygdrive.  The only hits were
/etc/fstab and /etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh.done, and the
latter was just setting up the former.  So I have to ask, what's creating
these shortcuts?

The idea that setup or the post-install scripts create symlinks that
point to things that are not under / and need to be accessed as, for
example, /cygdrive/d (= D:\) seems very strange.

>> Would it be possible for setup to ask for the value and
>> setup the /etc/fstab with the value?  Do others find this bit of annoying?
>
>You can precreate fstab, I think.

Maybe you could do a 3-step install?
  -  minimal install.
  -  fix fstab.
  -  install optional packages.

Another (partially tested) idea:  Create a folder in / named /cygdrive.
Then create a symlink in it for each drive, where the symlink points to
the drive and is named as the drive letter.  That seems to work for
some purposes, e.g., cd /cygdrive/d/dir/ goes to /d, though the CWD will
be /cygdrive/d/dir, not /d/DIR.  YMMV.

But pre-creating c:\cygwin\etc\fstab seems like the best option.

Good Luck.

- Barry